Web Prospects?

We are trying to use the online registration feature for events and getting a lot of "Web Prospects". 

What are these and why are they generated and what do we do with them. 

I originally thought a web prospect was a person who registered for an event via the members portal but was not already in the database, however, there seems to be a lot of existing members that are showing up as web prospects. 

I assume we can merge the records but that's not practical since it involves several steps and we have to do each record individually (we have several hundred web prospects)

Would appreciate any suggestions. 

Thanks,

Dan 

Arena Select Self Hosted 
Version 2100.3.100.32241

• They are happening because members do not Know they have preassigned Username and Arena does not seem to match them, It just creates a new WebProspect.  I have spent many hours with Support and I have not found a good solution for managing these Duplicates, other than creating a report and merging them( VERY TEDIOUS!)  I was not happy, but it does lessen with time.  As members use the Portal the first time and you merge the profiles, the next time it does not create a WebProspect.

Support suggested we use a security role to send out a mass email giving everyone their pre-assigned username, but we opted not to do that yet (We only opened the portal for Events and we will roll out the finished product this year).  We did add some wording on the Login page to NOT use the create new user function, but rather Forgot Username & Password.  We are customizing our page and will hopefully solve some of these issues with the layout and directions for login, but that takes time.  

Note: There may still be some issues if you merge profiles with payments for Active Events - I usually manually change the Registered by person and/or Registrant and then delete the duplicate/WebProspect. We also use Shelby Next Giving with API and it creates the same problem unless you enter the Arena ID in Giving as the Envelope number.

We are Self Hosted  and multi-campus, our database is very large and growing.  

• Dan, 

The phenomenon of web prospects being created through the web portal can be irksome at times.
    However, you can leverage lists to speed up the merge process.

The steps described in http://community.shelbysystems.com/arena/m/tech_papers/24852 allow you to add a field to list results that shows all of the possible duplicates for a selected record.
    Once the field added you can make a list that looks for all current web prospects and displays a link to show duplicates.

Duplicates are listed based on:
    Partial First/Nick name and Last name
    Address
    Email
    Phone numbers

Based on the results you can merge the duplicate records or, if the record is a new person, change the member status to visitor.

More Content