Church Metrics and connecting Shelby database to Power BI using SSRS

I am hoping to create a church management dashboard to monitor such things as finances (weekly contribution trends) and attendance.  In an ideal world, I would be able to mine the data out of the Shelby SQL Server databases straight into a dashboard using a visualization tool like Power BI.

Are other churches using key performance indicators (KPIs) or metrics to monitor how they are doing?

Does anyone have a dashboard that they would be willing to share?

Currently, we are in the exploration stage, but hoping to move to early implementation in the very near future.  Any and all suggestions welcome.

• Hey did you guys end up implementing power BI with Arena?

• This really got me curious about Power BI. It looks like a really cool tool and makes some really nice modern looking graphs and charts. I love that you can fully interact with the graphs as well as apply filters on the fly.

So I went out searching and was able to get it up and running pretty quickly. So here is a quick run down on what I learned in case anyone else is interested. Cost is $10 per month per user for the pro license which is the level that allows you to embed reports and dashboards. You only need the pro license for the people who would be building and embedding your dashboards/ reports. Depending on your Office 365 licensing you may already have this included. They do have a 60 day free trial period if you want to test it out.

The method I used is not as secure as it could be but it works easily with Arena. By generating the embed code as described below you are generating an iframe that works exactly the same as when you get an embed code from YouTube. There is no security on it so be very careful about what data you use and put into these dashboards and graphs. On the positive side you can still set page and module security within Arena but that will be your decision on where you draw that line for security.

So here is what I did to make this work.

1. Sign up at powerbi.com or download PowerBI desktop
    2. Create a report (I just used their sample data)
    3. File >> Publish to web
    4. Copy Embed Code
    5. Turn off Validate Request on the page where this report or dashboard will show (Safari didn't have an issue prior to turning off Validate Request but Chrome did)
    6. Add an Advanced HTML module to the page.
    7. Paste embed code into the HTML tab and Save module

If you look at the image below you will notice the grey box on the upper left graph. That is a mouse over event. The PowerBI graphs also accept clicks and filters on the fly.

have you messed with this at all?

More Content